Faculty & Staff Caucus
UNC Latina/o Caucus
UNC Latina/o Caucus is an important strategic alliance comprised of UNC Chapel Hill’s Latino alumni, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows, for the benefit of the present and future of UNC.
Our mission is:
- To accomplish a positive working relationship among the University’s Latina/o staff, faculty and students.
- To assure constructive institutional change as it relates to Latina/o staff and faculty development and the recruitment of Latina/o students.
- To find and promote all opportunities related to hiring, retention and promotion of Latina/o staff and faculty.
- To enhance the quality of education and quality of life for all alumni, faculty, staff, and students of UNC Chapel Hill.
- To promote the efforts of campus programs, departments, and organizations that work for and on behalf of the Latino community both within and outside of the university.
- To serve, mentor, and protect all Latina/o students, regardless of citizenship, at UNC Chapel Hill.
Join the Caucus!
Become involved! Ask us to add you to the Caucus listserv to get special invitations to upcoming events, like our Cafecitos with the Chancellor or Provost, Caucus celebrations, informational meetings, and other important opportunities. E-mail your request to Paul Cuadros at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to keeping you informed and connected with the Latina/o community at UNC. We are also respectful of your time and will not flood your inbox with e-mail.
Like us on Facebook! Bookmark our UNC Latino Caucus Facebook page for announcements.
What We Do
- We provide a safe, welcoming, inclusive space for listening to, sharing, and discussing the experiences of UNC’s Latina/o staff, faculty, students, and alumni.
- We advocate for UNC’s Latina/o community. We work with those who approach us to help them address the issues they are facing. When needed, we consult with the university’s discreet and trustworthy Ombuds Office to guide our strategies for addressing the issue.
- We support UNC’s Latina/o students and student groups. Through our membership dues, we are able to provide a small amount of funding to those who need it. Through a staff or faculty advocate, these students can make a funding request to the chair of the Caucus.
- We are members of the greater UNC community. We are affiliated with the Carolina Latina/o Collaborative and the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. We connect with the Carolina Black Caucus, the American Indian Faculty and Staff Caucus, and others on joint ventures.
Outgoing Chair: Jazmin Garcia Smith – Sr. Assistant Director – Office of Undergraduate Admissions – email@example.com
Incoming Chair: Paul Cuadros – Associate Professor – Journalism and Mass Communication – firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Maribel Carrion – Director of Business Applications – Information Technology Services – email@example.com
Secretary: Emily Gomez – Career Counselor – University Career Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty advisor: Maria DeGuzman – Professor – English and Comparative Literature – email@example.com
Staff advisor: Josmell Perez – Multicultural Programs & CLC Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
Alumni advisor: Jakelin Bonilla – Campus Y – email@example.com
Events chair: Mayra Cerda – firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications chair: Francesca Carpentier – Associate Professor – Journalism and Mass Communication – email@example.com
Service chair: Paul Bonnici – Project Director – Humanities & Human Values – firstname.lastname@example.org
- one year – $35.00
- two years – $60.00
- five years – $135.00
*Members are invited to special member events. Contact our Treasurer about membership dues.