Pulso Scholars Program
About the Program
Pulso scholars program is a comprehensive pipeline program specially designed to promote academic and professional success among Carolina students into medical school and other health professions. Scholars participate in a series of workshops, seminars and various hands on opportunities aimed at providing academic, professional, cultural development and overall preparation to apply to medical school or other health related programs.
- Academic Success – Scholars participate in seminars, workshops, tutoring and course planning to prepare them to make them the most competitive applicants to selective professional schools.
- Networking – Scholars will meet and engage faculty, administrators, and alumni and other community leaders
- Community – Scholars will meet other Latinx medical students on campus and participate in outreach activities.
- Competitive Applicants – Scholars will have the opportunity to shadow medical professionals, clinical exposure, tour various labs and test prep
Application Criteria and Timeline
- Sophomore Carolina students are encouraged to apply
- Must have a 2.8 science GPA
- Need to have taken:
- Bio 101 with a lab
- Chem 101 with a lab
- And another math or science class
- Application Deadline: Closed for 2017/2018
- Each scholar will be paired with a first or second year medical student and is expected to meet with mentor at least 2 times per semester
- Each scholar will be expected to attend monthly workshops/seminars
- Each scholar will be expected to participate in at least 2 clinical service opportunities through LMSA
- Pre-health advising with members of UNC SOM/SOD admissions committee
- Skills Labs (blood draw, patient simulations)
- Cadaver Lab Tours
- National Conference (Those who have met the requirements will have their fees covered to attend the conference)
Applications are now closed for this year – Thank you for the interest